‘I bought these pumps because well… it was the weekend and I felt like it.’
‘I gifted myself 10 new outfits when I bagged my first freelance project.’
‘I bought a gold ring – a band for myself… when I parted ways with my boyfriend.’
We’ve all been there. Picking up something for ourselves spontaneously, just because… we felt like it and wanted to celebrate small wins! A little self-indulgence doesn’t hurt anybody, does it? Especially, when it’s our hard-earned money, we love to bend the traditional rules of gifting jewellery.
So, recently when we came across a study that said ‘51 Percent of Millennial Women Buy Jewellery for Themselves*’, we weren’t really surprised. This concept might seem to be unconventional, rather #UnTraditional to some, but let’s face it, it’s here for real!
We, women, have so many reasons to buy jewellery for ourselves rather than wait for someone to gift it to us or for any special occasion to buy it. When we say ‘I buy my own jewelry’ we’re not really making any women empowerment statement, but just doing what comes naturally to us. We are not waiting for Women’s Day or Valentine’s Day to gift ourselves something in gold and diamond. It’s usually just a little indulgence for instant gratification… maybe a great day at work or a solo trip gone successful!
After all, who needs a man, to ‘say it with diamonds’ when we can swipe a card and make ourselves feel like a million bucks instantly?
Also, when we gift ourselves fine jewellery, we know for sure it’s for keeps. 😉
So, What Jewellery Style to Self-Gift?
For women who are probably undecided about the style to gift themselves, it’s actually really simple… a peek into our wardrobe does the trick!
Pick simple fine jewellery to match your wardrobe and lifestyle, because you want jewellery that you can actually wear every day and not traditional, heavy designs that end up looking like a wardrobe mismatch. Go for jewellery designs that match the aesthetics of your everyday wear outfits. Ask yourself a few questions to get there.
- What’s your casual wardrobe like? Do you have a minimalistic wardrobe (read solid tees, linen pants and flip flops)? Then, maybe basic gold studs, band rings and a pure gold bracelet would work well! Is your casual wardrobe flirty and fun? You might want to add more colour to it with say, a gemstone ring or an enamelled gold necklace.
- What’s your work attire made of? If crisp white shirts and pinstriped trousers work for you, go for matte finish stud earrings or pearl drops to keep it simple. If your work lets you be a little more casual, you can opt for gemstone fashion chains and layer them up with a gold necklet.
- Do you attend a lot of parties? Does your wardrobe have a lot of frilly skirts, party tops and LBDs? Having diamond hoops, shoulder dusters and maybe a cocktail ring in your jewellery box would make it a lot more fun.
- Are you a jet setter? Minimal pieces that are versatile like detachable front-back earrings or a minimalistic pendant and a slender chain can make you look more put together!
- Are you a working mom? Do your outfits veer towards being more functional? Simple studs and bracelets that don’t come in the way of work or play, make the cut.
May We Recommend?
We’ve put together 6 gorgeous fine jewellery styles that women have gifted to themselves! These minimal, modern and dainty pieces are inspired by this season’s global fashion trends. There’s a trendy piece for every attire – from your bodycons to your jumpsuits.
The Trend: Roses have taken a turn towards the grunge in Autumn-Winter 2019/20. The trend is all about being feminine and fierce.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: These high polish, yellow gold drop earrings capture the essence of this trend with inverted motifs of roses and thorns, giving it a romantic yet rebellious edge. Amp up your casual and party looks.
The Trend: The ramps took a preppy turn this season, displaying the colours and patterns of cool grad clubs.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: With a coin nugget in the centre, embedded with pave set diamonds contrasted with green and red enamel, this ring is a must-have casual piece.
The Trend: Dramatic, voluminous sleeves are quirky this season with a touch of 70s era theatrics.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: Voluminous, curvy and abstract elements come into play in this gold bracelet, inspired by the mega-sized sleeve trend. It is a great addition for your deadline to dinner look.
The Trend: Another OTT trend, the catwalks of Autumn-Winter 2019 saw dresses in tons and tons of fabric, creating a spectacular effect.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: The ring, inspired by the ‘big dress’ trend symbolises the ‘layers of fabric’ in high polish yellow gold. If you’re looking for rings to give yourself, this one makes a stand-out piece.
The Trend: Sequins transitioned from party to work wear this AW 19/20, with its suit and blazer avatar.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: These stud earrings come in two polishes – high polish and fine satin polish in yellow gold for a classy effect. Make them your 9 to 5 go-to piece.
The Trend: Vibrant, colourful feathers ruled the ramps of this season. Shades of violet, yellow, red, green and more made it a dramatic display.
A Perfect Gift To Yourself: Displaying feather cutwork motifs with violet enamel work, this bangle hits the bright spot for your party wear.
Go ahead, #UnTradition and indulge in some self-love with these everyday wear styles. After all, when it comes to gifting yourself fine jewellery, there’s no such thing as too many!
*Source: MVI Research